A sneak peek at my Sunday Zumba and a brief dance shoe review.
Fairy at Zumba trailer – scroll below for more videos!
Dancing is a fitness routine that is near and dear to my heart. Before I got into running, I started dancing to lose weight. I used to play dance videos games till I lost 10kg in 8 months back in 2010! I then graduated to doing Zumba outdoors at a free class offering at a public park when I was still living in KL.
Fast forward to today, I now attend Zumba classes at a gym in Sydney area at least 4 times a week, having different instructors every time. Since Zumba is of Latin origin, there’s a lot of salsa, merengue-inspired movements that require you to move and gyrate your hips a lot. Some of the instructors will insert a few non-Latin songs too to add a bit of colour and flavour to the session, which is fine by me!
Here’s 5 reasons why I love Zumba and why everyone should try it:
- FUN & FIT – Zumba is so much fun and I sweat so much! Apparently you can burn anywhere from 500-1,000 calories in an hour session, depending on your body weight. Great way to keep your weight in check.
- FRIENDS – You make a lot of new friends in class – I’ve got friends from all over the world thanks to my regular attendance.
- MEMORY – You improve and sharpen your memory by learning the steps and routines in Zumba class. It’s really like a game!
- MUSIC – You get exposed to new songs that you wouldn’t otherwise have time to listen to. I’ve picked up a few upbeat songs from my classes and now they’re part of my playlist when I run too!
- CROSS-TRAINING – Zumba is a nice cross-training routine which complements my running. And it is more exciting to do! 😀
The Dancing Shoes
I recently purchased a pair of Reebok Hayasu dancing shoes to complete my Zumba experience and I love them. (Thanks to Yanie for inspiring me to get a pair!)
Here’s my take on these shoes:
- They’re super light and makes jumping around feels almost effortless.
- The TurnZone circular part of the sole makes pivoting and twisting on the studio floor smooth and easy – I especially liked this feature.
- The flat soles also allow for easy side-to-side movement, and the soft high-top collar around the ankle is comfortable for more dynamic footwork.
- They’re quite a good-looking pair of shoes – however I wouldn’t wear them outside as they’re meant for studio use, so I usually walk to the gym in my running shoes then change in the locker room.
- They’re bouncy to wear as they’re lined with Ortholite in-soles. However, if you have knee problems these shoes might not support you as well as say more cushioned shoes since Zumba and similar classes are high impact activities. So if your knees are not strong, consider using them every other day with another pair of shoe (if you’re dancing every day, for example).
You’ll get to see my dancing shoes in action by watching my videos at the end of this post! Watch out for the front-row gal in pink tights and black t-shirt. 🙂
Finally, the main purpose of this posting was to share some videos from my Zumba class. I asked my instructors if I could record their dance numbers and they sportingly agreed. Thank you Raymon and Soc, you guys are awesome!
So here’s what goes on in my Sunday Zumba class, enjoy!
Alternatively, you can view and save the playlist on Youtube.
Thanks for watching and I hope you get inspired to do some Zumba classes too!